Sunday, March 31, 2013

A Visit to the St. Louis Public Library

For a library history buff, it doesn't get much better than a visit to the newly renovated Central Library of the St. Louis Public Library. While visiting family last week in St. Louis, I took the hour long, volunteer docent led, tour of the renovated building. I made a previous post on the reopening of the building. Their website has a link to a great video about the reopening.  The renovation took place a hundred years after the Carnegie building opened in 1912. The building renovation is truly remarkable and they have done a wonderful job of integrating the old and the new. I highly recommend a visit if you get to St. Louis. Below are a few of the hundred plus photos I took of the building.


The Library History Buff in front of the Central Library
 
Great Hall of the Central Library
 
Fireplace in old children's room where storyhours were conducted

Giant two-sided card catalog. The last remaining.


1 comment:

Katy said...

Wow! It is gorgeous! I am so jealous!! I am currently waiting to start graduate school in the Fall for my MLIS! SO EXCITED!!

I love that Children's room! I would love a room like that in my house someday!

Thanks for sharing! :)
~Katy